View Single Post
Old 7th January 2005, 14:30

Mirek Wawrzynski is an unknown quantity at this point
There are more then only "Dust Clouds"

Yes the Dust Clouds is/was almost fundamental book about air war over East Africa.
There are some other sources which should be mentioned like the last one: Springbook Fighter Victory: SAAF Fighter Operation 1939-1945 vol. 1 East Africa 1940-41 by Michael Schoeman, quite fresh from 2002-04
I do not have this book but I have seen how many times it was used by Hakan Gustavsson on Biplane Fighter Aces from WWII side and some information he has given according this last book.

Beside Shores/Ricci chapter about East africa there are also several memories of RAF pilots (in magazines or in a book like Wellesley pilo memories). When you read them you get a little bit other data concernig losses put on Dust Clouds and other information.
I have met several tims such a differences in Shores and in other memories.

There was/(is?) also the side by Alex Crawford about Gloster Gladiator (he wrote a book about Gloster Gladiator) where you may find data about this fighter and his pilot (RAF/SAAF) + losses over East Africa.

In 2001 I have written in Poland an quite long article (only Polish) Air war over east Africa: RA v. SAAF, RAF, so I can say that I know more sources then the Dust Clouds which is still anyway very good book/chapter about East Air War.

BTW I do not have a link to Hakan side, I have lost with my last computer configuration but I think some of the visitors can help you with this. There you aslo find a list of references.

The last one should be mentioned RAF losses list (units) keep in archives in Great Britain (but this is obvious)

Regards
Mirek Wawrzyński