View Single Post
Old 16th February 2012, 11:03

Kapper is on a distinguished road
Re: Birth/Death details of non Ritterkreuz 50+ aces

Johannes

I know from your posts in the past that when you do these lists like this one, you only count the victories that you have seen evidence of the claim being confirmed in the RLM files. However, have you looked a Dr Prein’s work that he has done for the JFV series. Dr Prien has brought to light many corrections to the mis-read hand written records on the RLM files and many additional claims (many confirmed).

In his works he’s marked those claims that he has documented evidence that they had been confirmed with a B (Bestätigt).Those that he found that were officially not confirmed he marked with n.b. (nicht bestätigt)and not included in the pilot’s personal tally. For the claims that Prien cannot find any documented evidence to support confirmation he still included in the score but without the confirmation letter B. Therefore a claim which Prien has not been able to confirm because of a lack of evidence is different to a claim that was not confirmed (rejected?). I personally believe Dr Priens system is a better system as it is like innocent until proven guilty and not guilty due to lack of evidence.

Anyway, I raise this because in the case of Peter Bremer you have him listed at 37 victories though he is commonly recorded at 40 victories. In Prien’s JFV series he lists the first 20 of Bremer’s victories (up to Bremer’s 24/1/43 victory – as far as the series go at this stage) of which all have been marked B which designates that he has evidence that all 20 were confirmed. The next 20 victories are listed on the claims list with anerk numbers which indicate that all these were also confirmed. This makes Bremer’s total of 40 confirmed claims as reported and generally accepted.

Regards,

Craig…