View Single Post
Old 25th May 2012, 00:04

Observer1940 is on a distinguished road
Re: Air Navigation Act 1936, Section 14, req'd please for WW2 research?

Hello Alan and Andy

Thanks for replying.

Alan, I agree, the OPSI and Statute Law Database at www.legislation.gov.uk does not list the Air Navigation Act 1936, in fact it does not even mention the Air Navigation Act of 1920.

Parliamentary Archives might be a good call though, I forgot that, I must be going scenile!

Andy, I got your pm and will be in touch regarding the daily account. I'm not quite sure if what you have about the rules of obstruction lighting would be exactly the same as the wording in the 1936 Act? I will describe a bit about the Act.

Regarding the Air Navigation Act 1936 of interest, it was an Act for amending the Air Navigation Act 1920 and giving effect to certain recommendations of Lord Gorell's Committee and received Royal Assent 31st July 1936 according to The Times, newspaper.

A Clause was added during the Bill in preparation for the 1936 Act regarding Lighting near Aerodromes, being a safety provision for the indication of the presence of obstructions.

This Clause of the Act laid down leglislation to provide for the illumination of obstructions in the vicinity of aerodromes.

I can find some pre and post WW2 Air Ministry files debating the legal responsibilities of the Section / Clause of the 1936 Act in relation to the lighting obstructions at Aerodromes and also in terms of obstructions to Air Navigation.

I have access to Lord Gorell's Committee (printed) and the 1920 Air Navigation Act, but the 1936 Air Navigation Act, is proving rather elusive.

The only thing (unchecked) at TNA, Kew was the Air Navigation Act 1920 as Amended, but nothing online to suggest it was the Act of 1936.

Perhaps your document Andy, might be direct quotes from the 1936 Act?

The oldest Air Navigation Act online was post-war (WW 2) and now even that Act seems to have disappeared.

Regards Mark