View Single Post
Old 3rd June 2005, 16:57

Micke D
Re: Fw 190 D-9 or D-11 photo on ebay!

First I have to correct myself: The unit was called Verbandsführerschule des General der Jagdflieger and was stationed at Bad Wörishofen between February and April 1945.

I guess the reason for the similar chevrons and their placement is that they most likely were painted at the same time and maybe using the same template.
I can’t see a white spinner tip on the photo of 220009 in Rodeikes book, but the bright light is reflecting so it may not be possible to see even if it had been white.
One of the photos in Rodeikes book shows that 220009 had no wheels, but they could have been removed anytime before this photo was taken.
The other photo shows that 220009 stand with the nose facing the trees, but it could of course have been moved from the field to this position before the wheels were removed.

So yes Kuba, this is confusing, but fun, for me too!

But my belief is still that the eBay photo and “the Crandall photo” is showing <<-+ with a still unknown W.Nr. and not <<+ W.Nr. 220009.

It’s fascinating that of maybe 20 D-11s built, 4 or 5 has been photographed.

I can also see now that the spinner and prop of what I thought was a second Dora in “the Crandall photo” is the spinner and prop of the Heinkel.

I saw on Eagle Editions website that Jerry Crandallis working on a new book called “The Focke-Wulf Fw 190 Dora, D-9, D-11, D-13” that may explain some of our questions.

This book and the one from Japo by Eric Larger are definitely on my “must have” list.

/Micke D