View Single Post
Old 25th February 2024, 10:29
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: JV 44: help with translation

Quote:
Originally Posted by David E. Brown View Post
Nick,

From “The Koller War Diary” entry for 26 April 1945 (p.50-51):

General Schultz reported: “Luftwaffenkommando West has dissolved the remaining Close-range Reconnaissance Staffel equipped with the Me 262 (NAG 6) and sent the aircraft to Jagdverband 44 (fighter unit)” …

Best,

David
Hi David,

It's possible that even Koller was confused! There were TWO Me 262-equipped recon units, 2./NAG 6 and 1./NAG 1. Gen. der Aufklärungsflieger did propose disbanding the latter on 21 April but it was still flying three days later, ending the war in Höhn, apparently without aircraft. There was another row between competing authorities about disbanding KG 51, which actually did happen but was revoked after a couple of days and the unit was moved to Prague. Not only that but there was an exchange about who had ordered the disbandment of 1./NAG 13, which was due to convert to the Me 262 as well as one about who had disbanded III./EJG 2 (which actually does seem to have happened, since JV 44 took on all its pilots).