View Single Post
Old 15th November 2013, 01:14
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Seeking Photos of White Stab markings on Bf109Ds and Es during 1939-40

Hello,

Recently I requested any information on Bf109D-1s of Stab III./ZG26 during 1939 for tEoE profile artwork packages. This unit was renamed Stab I./JGr126 during Sept, 1939. I got no responses, and my network of contacts has drawn a blank. However, a photo of a 1938 photo of an Ar68 of this unit provided recently by Franck shows a white Stab marking (Adj chevron) with a thin white outline. This makes me think that the photos I'm looking for show Bf-109D-1s with white Stab markings, and which are probably in people's unidentified or misc. files. The key to identifying these besides white Stab markings is that these should have a white III Gr vertical bar, thinly outlined in black, on the fuselage behind the fuselage cross. Can anyone either provide scans or point me to a source for such photos?

Further, I'm still looking for photos of I./JG21 Stab a/c during the first six months of 1940, using Bf109Es in early 1940-camouflage and carrying white Stab markings. This unit became III./JG54 from July, 1940, and I'm still searching for additional photo references from this period. In addition to white Stab markings, these a/c would all carry anywhere from a light to a heavy mottle over the fuselage sides, and usually yellow cowlings or tails.

I know that some other units used white Stab markings during 1940, but this is what I'm looking for right now.

Can anyone help?

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator