View Single Post
Old 10th November 2020, 16:43
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: Help civilian register for 2 machines from Halle-Saale

Herr Gerhard Stemmer and Tony,

There are 2 photographs depicting the burial of 6 airmen (coffins). One shot do show on the front and upper side of the Hangar the last words ALLE-1 or ALLE-4 (not so clear) and underneath, Staffel-1 clearly visible, so I assumed it was HALLE-SAALE main Hangar.

Could D-IKII have been transferred to the Luftnarichtenschule after June 1939, before joining BFS 2 at Celle?

I understand that from time to time, Air Force Schools do suffer air accidents, but generally they do kill one or two. To have such a high number of killed on a single day, is not common and felt badly by the unit involved. I sent a message to the Stadt Archive at Halle, to find out if there is one single date for 6 or 7 killed in a single accident at this airfield.

However, as you found, Gerhard Stemmer, it may have been the accident you mentioned, in 1937. Do you happen to have the names of those airmen? Where were they buried?

Tony: The image is clear, D-IKII is close to D-AJYH inside the hangar, during the cerimony of burial of 6 airmen (6 coffins visible) that may have crashed. The Hangar is clearly visible with ALLE-1 or ALLE-4 (HALLE I assume) on one outside photograph. The other photo do show the cerimony inside the Hangar, where the 2 machines are visible.

I shall try to post here the Hangar detail

Adriano