View Single Post
Old 10th February 2015, 13:16

ChristianK is on a distinguished road
Re: Exotic Me 262 "Black 4" Paint Scheme Interpretation

Hi John,

first of all - you have to face the fact that it is impossible to draw any definitive conclusions regarding color from a b&w photo. So, for what it's worth, this Me 262 might be one of the rares examples which have been painted in pink and blue and its nose in dayglo orange.

At one point in the modelling process you just have to make an educated guess, based on what theory you are more inclined to believe. For this example - based on what was the most common practice on Me 262s - I would go with a nose in "whitish" RLM 76 and a two-tone upper surface camouflage of RLM 81/82 with heavy mottling of the more standard-RLM 76.

It is very hard to discern the differences between RLM 81 and 82 in period b&w photos, especially if the plane is in a derelict and deteriorated state like this one. In any case, a two-tone camouflage was standard on most, if not all Me 262s. In fact, I cannot recall one single example featuring an upper surface finish in just one color (but our Me 262 experts might prove me wrong here).

Regarding the light-colored panel in the engine section: I think that's just some unpainted part which has been covered by the engine before.

Sorry for not giving you any definite answers, but I hope this helped a bit,

Christian