View Single Post
Old 8th October 2018, 15:43

Jean-Yves Lorant is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Strange case of Walter Dahl

Hello Johannes

I looked at the new list of Dahl's claims you completed with the Leistungsbuch pages I posted some time ago on this site. Sorry, it is a precise but inaccurate work. I will allow myself two remarks that could help you to be historically credible. There was never a Leutnant Meyer in Stab./JG 300 in 1945 (he was probably in GdF Stab) and Dahl was no longer part of Stab./JG 300 since his appointment as Inspekteur der Tagjäger. The mechanic Alfred Rademacher and the two pilots of Stab./JG 300 I questioned about this were formal. If Dahl had made so many sorties with his old wingmen, it would not have gone unnoticed. As Nick Beale quite rightly said 14 aerial victories in two weeks at that stage of the war is truly prodigious. It is even more so if you are researching allied losses at the places and dates given by Walther Dahl.
It would be interesting to know if the Flugbuch in possession of Russ Fahey also covers this period of Dahl's career. By giving us the places, times of takeoffs and landings, this would bring more credibility to this amazing score.

The Flugbuch of Walther Loos is sadly not 100% reliable. For the last missions of 1945 there are surcharges with a different writing. No comments...

Regards
Jean-Yves Lorant