View Single Post
Old 10th October 2018, 11:25
Alter Hase

Johannes has a spectacular aura aboutJohannes has a spectacular aura about
Re: Strange case of Walter Dahl

Hi Jean-Yves

Many thanks for getting involved with this one. I assume the inaccurate part of on list it just the units? I thought given his actual job at the time that he would just turn-up at a unit and use their aircraft/wingmen.
I had thought about the Leistungsbuch being fake, but if so it must be an old fake. Ernst Obermeier seems to use it in his Ritterkreuz publication a few years after Dahl's death. I don't have his 1966 publication, but I hope somebody can enlighten us as to his claims totals in it.

Regarding Russel Fahey's flugbuch of Dahl, that would appear to be genuine, he purchased the book(at great expense) photocopied it then sold it on. The period covered is 23rd August 1941 until 15th October 1944, so not covering the period we would like.

I think by memory that Obermeier states that Loos is with JG301 at the end of the war, where he makes nine claims over Russian aircraft...….presumably with Dahl, same for Werner Bohnenkamp, and if Dahl was as dodgy as suggested Leutnant Meyer would have been credited with claims also. It would appear that Dahl seconded old wingmen to fly his last sorties.

There is a request for which actual Me262 he flew, are we to believe he had his own personal aircraft, and Fw190 also.

Would be very grateful if you could enlighten us as to the details of the missing claims, also would be interested in the details of his witnesses over the years.

Kind Regards

Johannes