View Single Post
Old 22nd March 2019, 19:48
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: Help with an He 111, perhaps KG 55

Laurenet and Richard,

Thank you so much for enlighting me about those operations and the losses of KG 55. I also did not know about KG 27 carrying such kind of low-level attacks. The tactics and weapons used are very interesting (and by night!).

I do remember seeing on some Hawker Typhoons the markings of locomotives destroyed painted on the fuselage (from memory guess it was from Nš 609 Squadron).

Is it to your knowledge if ever the Luftwaffe's "aces" on this kind of attack (train bursting) was similarly recorded on the tails of He 111's from KG 27 or KG 55? Were those "kills" recorded individually (after the next daylight LW PR sorties and fotos showing the destruction) or to Geschwader level? I mean were the trains kills recorded individually (by night it would have been difficult) or to the Staffeln?

Have never seen tails of He 111 (or Ju 88) with trains symbols, although there were several markings of tanks kills, buildings (factories), ships markings, etc....

AGAIN: A fantastic thread (at least for me full of new information unknown so far).

Thank you for the sharing of your vast knowledge and for books sadly not yet translated to English language.

Adriano