View Single Post
Old 12th January 2023, 15:05
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: eBay: Allied intrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand H View Post
Thanks Stig for your input. And if the ORB was simply wrong - it's quite regular - and the serials between the R7208 and the W3247 have been mixed ?

Recall page 115 of FCL vol1 it is written that P7428 lost (6/5/41) in southern england and that the ECPAD files (Lw PK) have a photo of this a/c photographed in France (DAA1762-L4)....
Well Bertrand

I suppose there will always remain controversies and question marks with regard to aviation history.
Records were kept by humans and since many of "our clerks" most probably were terribly uninterested
in the boring job of record keeping mistakes were inevitably made.

We have debated this before, if the ORBs or the AM 78 cards are the most valid ones when it comes to
British military aircraft. I have always favored the cards before the ORBs but also try not to be prejudiced.
There is also accident records, but I have never seen any of those, so I don't know how they were kept.

With regard to R7208 and W3247 it looks like all the records agree when/how they were lost.
At least I can't find any source that differs, so I don't think there is any risk of confusion with these two Spitfires.

Cheers
Stig