View Single Post
Old 9th April 2024, 14:08

Bombphoon is on a distinguished road
Re: SD-2 and SD-10 Luftwaffe Losses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiner View Post
The KG51, as far as I know, none of the 18 Ju88s were lost on June 22, 1941 due to our own SD-2. I can't say anything about other units that used these bombs. Wikipedia?? I quote: Shortly after the start of the Russian campaign, the carrying of SD bombs in internal bomb bays was banned. The SD-2 was no longer used because its use in low-level flight led to great losses. The Ju88 was used “normally” again and the losses decreased.
Rene
The technical logic of how the SD2 works does make this puzzling how this could have happened but on p.220 of Bekker, it goes into greater detail, including of how Bf 109 pilots and groundcrews hated carrying them as the first row on the carrier often hung up and dropped off on taxiing.

The case is stronger against the SD10: other pilots record seeing Ju88s and Do17s 'suddenly fold up and crash' when there were no Russian fighters or flak due to SD10s coming loose and exploding. I can believe that, as the No.3 fuze was very sensitive.

Perhaps the case for the SD2 and SD10 have been mixed up over the years as both were anti-personnel bombs?