Old 5th July 2022, 19:21
Alter Hase

Rottler will become famous soon enough
Re: Late war fighter encounters

Hello Seaplanes,

a quote from LUFTWAFFE IM FOCUS Spezial No. 2:
….. Several accounts shed light on the Gruppe’s actions:
Ofw Pfau (1./KG 66) wrote:
"At 0647 hours on 8 May 1945, I took off from Stavanger-Sola in my Ju 88 S-3 (Z6+?H) with my observer Fhr Schneider and radio operator Ofw Albert. Shortly after 0700., while flying south over the Skagerrak at about 1000 meters altitude in a cloudless sky, we were attacked by four fighters. Soon afterward we discovered that they were from a British aircraft carrier sailing with other British naval units in the direction of Oslofjord …. Ofw Albert, who was sitting with his back to me manning the machine-gun, was wounded in the shoulder. When the fighter attacks began I altered course, headed toward the Norwegian coast and dropped down to sea level. Ofw Albert had lost a great deal of blood and passed out; Fhr Schneider did what he could for him. After further attacks, in which the aircraft took 15 hits and the left undercarriage was shot up, I made a crash-landing at Lister airfield at 0755. We had signaled an emergency prior to landing, and an ambulance immediately transported Ofw Albert to hospital."

Regards
Leo