View Single Post
Old 24th April 2017, 21:06
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Re: Looking for information on German late-war improvised airstrips

You're welcome. I think you should abandon the idea of airstrips. These temporary areas were located near grassy fields and cover. As far as vegetation, the idea was to give no indication that there was anything aerial recon could identify as an "airstrip." Sure, they might remove some rocks or fill in holes but that was it.

Do the photos you have have any numbers, letters, location name or date? I'm curious to know how you came up with your measurement. Sometimes, I would see a scale but it would be in miles or kilometers. Based on the information you've provided, and without knowing the location, I'm going to make a guess. This type of construction seems closer to a V-1 launch site, down to the dugout. The launch ramp has not yet been built, but that would be camouflaged by one or more sections of camouflage netting.

The Germans were very good at hiding things. But, I have never seen an airstrip marked. It was usually, weapons factory, bridge, crossroads, troop concentrations, ammo dump and so on. Sure, airfields were bombed/cratered but the Germans were very good at repairing the damage quickly. They were unmistakable in aerial recon photos. But the rapidly changing war situation made these improvised airstrips the only viable option. And most were usually temporary.

Ed