View Single Post
Old 23rd July 2007, 15:54
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: Top REC-TAC aces of the Royal Air Force, RCAF

Colin, Andy and CJE,
Thanks for joining this thread. I had a problem with my computer and was "out" for a few days...Yes, I fully understand the difference between Reconnaissance men ( 542, 541, 680, 544, 1 PRU, 140 Squadrons ) and those of REC-TAC ( 414, 400, 2, 4, 16, and so on...). Of course, Warburton with 9 aerial victories "seems to be" ranked number one, in terms of kills; although he was himself a RECON pilot. From the information Michal R. gave us, it seems that Hall ( RCAF ) could be Nš2 in terms of victories ( with 7 kills ). Any more data about 2, 4 Squadron claims?
I have been looking at this subject and did not find a list of RAF REC-TAC aces, like that stablished by Jan Safarik on REC-TAC aces of the USAAF. Thatīs why I asked more information about it. I go agreed with you Colin when you say that their main purpose was to bring back INFORMATION. But, it was a job for individualists and most of those REC-TAC men were keen to have a go at the enemy. I remember reading about a 414 Squadron pilot who shot down 3 enemy during Operation Bondenplatte. But, I fully understand that it was not their main task.
Yes Andy, I support your last sentence...many were highly decorated for what they saw and filmed, but it seems to be a subject forget inside RAFīs Official History; like the "pick-up" men of 1419 Flight, 161, 138 ( and eventually 357 ) Squadrons.
Thank you again for your help and fofr joining the thread. I am still at the beginning of my search, but will put here what I do have found.
Friendly yours
Adriano