View Single Post
Old 23rd October 2023, 13:41
Alter Hase

DavidIsby will become famous soon enoughDavidIsby will become famous soon enough
Re: Lt. Jan Stangryciuk-Black, rear gunner, 300 Sq

from Twitter:

EastGrinsteadMuseum
@EG_Museum
·
2h
Jan Black was born in Eastern Poland on 18th April 1922, and was living in Argentina when he answered an RAF advert looking for volunteers to fight.

The ship that brought him and other volunteers to Britain took four weeks as it zigzagged across the Atlantic to dodge U-boats.
EastGrinsteadMuseum
@EG_Museum
·
2h
On 3rd November 1942 the Wellington Bomber he was flying malfunctioned and crash-landed a few miles from base. When Jan regained consciousness he tried to free his fellow airman but was unable to before needing to get out himself, where he was helped by local people.
EastGrinsteadMuseum
@EG_Museum
·
2h
Suffering with Burns to his Face, Scalp & Hands, he was admitted firstly to Nuneaton General Hospital, then RAF Hospital Cosford before being transferred to the Queen Victoria Hospital on 4th January 1943. where he underwent around 10 operations.
EastGrinsteadMuseum
@EG_Museum
·
2h
Jan became a proud member of the Guinea Pig Club, later saying:

"The friendship I made with the Guinea Pigs will live with me for the rest of my days"
EastGrinsteadMuseum
@EG_Museum
·
2h
He returned to combat after leaving the Queen Victoria Hospital and stayed in England after the war, taking his wife's surname after their marriage - becoming Jan Black.
EastGrinsteadMuseum
@EG_Museum
·
2h
After 82 glorious years, and great friendship between the 649 members of an unique club, this brings to an end of an era of a Club & it's members never to be forgotten.

R Marchant
Secretary, Guinea Pig Club