View Single Post
Old 27th August 2007, 15:10

ArtieBob will become famous soon enough
Re: Ju 88 C-2 and C-4 diference?

Dear Ed and Peter,

My copy of the C-Amt begins in Jan 41 and indicates 9 C-4s and 1 C-5 BAL acceptances, Feb 2 C-4s (this could be in error, other data indicates 10), Mar 12 C-4s, Apr 3 C-4s and 1 C-7, May and Jun –none, Jul to Oct 3-C-subtype not given- scheduled, but not delivered (Could these be the first C-6s? Jul was the last month for A-5 acceptances from JFM). All C-types are shown on the C-AMT reports as Umbau. Peter, you give FB names, but not document identification for your sources. What is your document source identification that the late C-4s were built on the assembly line?

So, to answer Ed’s question, were the C-2s and C-4s originally coming off the line as A-5(F)s? This would seem most likely, with the deletion of bombing equipment and the camera installation.. The last month for A-5(F) acceptances was Mar, so that coincides pretty well with the end of C-4 conversions listed in the C-AMT (bomber A-5 acceptances continued until Aug). I have no solid data to confirm this exactly, as the W.Nr. for Aufklarer, Bombers and fighters were not separate until the 6 digit W.Nr. were introduced in 1942. I have several sources on this material and none seem to agree exactly, but they are pretty close, so the basic facts should not be in dispute. There was quite a gap between the last C-2/ C-4 production and the first C-6s. During this period NJG 2 put some A-4s in service, IMHO they looked pretty neat, all black with the NJG 2 staffel emblems and markings.

Best regards ,

Artie Bob