View Single Post
Old 8th July 2019, 20:01

Monaco is on a distinguished road
Re: KG30 sunk HMS Trinidad 14/5/42

Hello Brian, etc.:
good to know, that a brain is working also with 50+ years. When I read this thread, I remembered I had read a rare booklet about KG.30 years ago though I lost my copy. I researched the case and now I´m holding it in my hands again to quote for you thus giving a hint for the final attacker of HMS Trinidad:
"14 May 1942 report by Uffz. Doczkal: Attack on the british warship formation.
Then Uffz Hofemann and his observer Uffz Koller were stationed at Banak with Fw Dünnwald and myself in one room. According to the memories of Uffz Hofemann about the sinking of the british cruiser TRINIDAD he had carried out the attack like this: Uffz Hofemann was ordered by the formation leader Lt Schölermann (probably SCHÖLERMANN, Heinz. (DOB: 26.01.20). 01.04.43 promo to Oblt./A1, FFS (C) 6. 12.44 Oblt., appt Staka of ? (to 1945) to go beneath the clouds to carry out another search flight at an altitude between 200-300m above the Polar Sea. Just before the point of return he sighted a big warship and immediately zoomed back upwards into the clouds again to prepare his attack. He carried out a normal blind flying approach against the warship sailing underneath and began to drop after the second 180 degree curve having the target right in front of him after leaving the clouds. Immediately after the attack - 2-3 bombs reportedly hit the cruiser - strong defensive fire set in. He instantly zoomed back into the clouds and set course for home. He had taken from the defensive fire only scratches in the on one surface rudder. Before reaching Banak he radioed to ground control, that he had attacked and presumably hit one warship. During the night there was suddenly loud noise: Men from the command post entered our room and told, that a spotter plane had reported, that the cruiser had sunk. Thereafter he was promoted to Feldwebel and awarded the Deutsches Kreuz in Gold All names mentioned were from 3./KG.30.
Has anyone more info about the persons mentioned?
Cheers
Michael