View Single Post
Old 10th July 2019, 20:06

Dan History is on a distinguished road
Re: KG30 sunk HMS Trinidad 14/5/42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco View Post
Just one more about Hofemann - I think he was also responsable for the sinking of the soviet ship Dekabrist (7363 BRT) on 4.11.42 - quoting Lt. Heinz Schölermann (it´s him I saw the first name in an award copy):
"...I remember very clear a mission at the beginning of November 1942 as we had taken off in a 7-formation for "Fächeraufklärung" over the Polar Sea (against single ships trying to reach Murmansk/Archangelsk in bad weather). On my route I encountered one single travelling ship of about 7-8000 BRT just before the point of return. Via BZB (Bord zu Bord - board to board broadcast) the other 6 Ju.88 were drawn together and then the attack begann. We attacked singely one after the other dive bombing, the flak on the cargo shot wildely, red "mice" passed on by the attacking Ju.88, but none had hit, when they were "below". The last Ju.88 was the one of the crew of Fw. Hofemann (a baker master from profession, reserve officer and pilot !): Hit with a SC 500 nearly amidships. The ship instantly took a list of 10 °, but did not sink immediately. Later it was confirmed, that crewmembers of this ship had saved themselves on Hopen Island (E of Spitzbergen). It´s a pitty that Fw. Hofemann failed to return from a mission over the Mediterreanean Sea the following year."
Monaco, thank you for sharing this extremely interesting information with us. The Soviet steamer Dekabrist is often reported as having been subk by torpedoes, so it is useful to have a German account of the sinking. You have a PM from me, too

Kind regards,

Dan