View Single Post
Old 1st February 2019, 12:39

srob48 is on a distinguished road
Re: Latest from Michael Balss.

Hi,

I'm really enjoying the Deutsche Luftwaffe Losses & Claims series by Michael Balss. So far I have:
Part 3 - 1st June to 31st August 1940.
Part 4-I - 1st September to 15th October 1940.
Part 4-II - 16th October to 31st December 1940.
And I have:
Part 5 - 1st January to 31st March 1941 arriving any day.

Michael says he is working on Part 6 (April - May 1941) which should be available soon.

He says, "Basic sources for my data are the German GQM files and also the 'Namentliche Verlustmeldungen' = Loss report of a unit for a plane and crew.

About the names of the locations "I used the names from the original sources".

As I check through the data, I am finding a few anomalies. For instance: Michael lists the loss of 8/JG26 on 1st June 1940, Lt. Kuno Wendt FSA/POW. according to Prien, the pilot was Lt. Gustav Sprick.
Also, Michael lists the loss of KGr.zbV.107 as occurring on 1st June 1940. Shot down by RAF Blenheim in Norway, with the pilot Uffz G. Werkmeister KIA, and 3 crew KIA names not reported. However, the pilot Uffz. Gerhard Werkmeister died on 30th May 1940 and is buried in Oslo-Alfaset, Norway.
(I can't check the dates of the other 3 KIA as names unknown).

Would be good if we could have a Michael Balss "Corrections" thread on here to try to sort out any inconsistencies?

My overall opinion is that the books are worth the money and Michael has done a lot of work. I wish him all the best.