View Single Post
Old 1st April 2008, 23:15
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: A new JG 26 Chronicle?

Well Eric

The problems become even worse if you intend to go with too many translations. I am not sure how you count, but I am pretty certain that if one already have bought the "wrong" version (i.e. me buying a book about a German subject in French), that person would be quite reluctant to buy a book in the "right" version (i.e. me buying a translation in English). I even think that person would be extremely reluctant to buy it even in a "semi-right" version (a German translation). Reason is that most of us are seldom millionaires and we might afford to buy one book and that's it! The above rights and wrongs are of course depending on which language you are most fluent in, and in my case rather obvious . A typical case are the Schiffer books published about JG 53 and JG 3. They all came long after they had been published in Germany and I wouldn't personally dream of "wasting" money on a translated version when I already had paid a lot to get the German version. If you know they would be translated, as we did with the two volume set of JG 300, then it is a very different story and in my case I waited!!

Ruy
Don't know if it is a good idea or not, but what about having a gallup done on book topics like this? Anyone interested in buying a certain book can give his vote. I would certainly buy a translated 3 volume set of JG 2 and JG 26, and I am also willing to commit myself doing it, in public! So what about it, setting up a vote list on the book forum??

I am quite reluctant to buy both JG 2 in JG 26 in French since for me it is the language I understand the least. I am positive to a German translation, but would of course be jubilant for an English version, BUT I would not buy either once I have bought it in French, which I might have to do just like Ruy , if no commitment is forthcoming...

Cheers
Stig