View Single Post
Old 6th August 2018, 13:47

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough
Re: French WW2 decimal score aces

to respond to Peter's post. Clostermann's letter to Scale Aircraft Modelling magazine in 1982 was published on their 'Readers Letters' page..

" ..As to my claims, they never changed. They were painted on my Tempest, (see accompanying photo ***) and are substantiated by the following citations and letters. My two DFC citations, by Air Marshal Slessor and AOC 83 Group Sir Harry Broadhurst, are enough for me - "DFC 26/8/44 This officer has displayed outstanding courage and devotion to duty throughout his operational career in the course of which he has destroyed at least 11 enemy aircraft and damaged other military objectives". "Bar 28/5/45 since being awarded the DFC this officer has participated in 70 new operational missions during which he has destroyed a further 12 enemy aircraft. Throughout, Lieutenant Clostermann has displayed outstanding courage and ability, and has proved to be a source of inspiration to all". 23 black crosses and 23 confirmed by my DFC citations. I never personally asked for anything else.... "

**(The photograph that Pierre sent with his letter, with him in the cockpit of 'Le Grand CharIes'~, NV724, JF.E of 3 Sqn., circa July 1945, showing the twenty-three black crosses representing his accredited confirmed 'kills', and the nine white outline only crosses for 'probables' and 'ground kills')

..NB: the aircraft referred to- 'Le Grand Charles'- is SN 222 and NOT his last JF*E, NV 724, although NV 724 featured the same 'scoreboard'