View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2023, 16:24
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: He111 lost 21/22 April 1942

STIG, I have the impression, during the years (reading and acquiring books), that some authors have become rather business and profit minded instead of than Historically minded.

Some have written a tittle with an Editor and re-pagined or added a few more lines and images, and sold almost the same book for other Editors, with a duality of images and text that have been read and written before.

I can not say particularly onto that case, since I have not acquired both books you do mention, and am not disgressing about a particular author (not quoting names); but this is the feeling I do have about some of those "famous" authors. I am not sure if this is just me that saw that ocurring more frequently, during the years.

Maybe it is not the author's fault at all....maybe the Editorial World do have a hand on that...they also are totally profit minded persons. It is all business nowadays...If you do not sell, you are not good. And, as it was said, maybe a 3 volumes book would be too much expensive and would put away some readers...However, we would have the full list of werknummers and fates, isn't it? A complete work about the theme....It is a complex answer I guess...

I have asked some of those famous authors, some 1-2 years ago, to work in a partnership on a book about the Feindflug sorties, and believe me...I was astonished to be frankly ansered back that it was not economically viable or profitable! And that this or that author (that I had also invited) was profit minded!....So, you do see, it is not easy to work alone, so you can imagine how it must be in co-operation (and believe me, I was trying to write in cooperation the most complete book on the theme). Maybe I was too much naive...maybe this is how I see Aviation History, as a Passion not as a business...anyway....Everyone do have a personal idea, how he sees or want a book...or how he dreams about a book. It values for the writers, the Editors and the readers....so it must, at the end, be a balance between those 3 visions, I guess.

This is why maybe some good books are really expensive and huge in size, maybe...because they go deep. Whilst others are for quick consumation and shorter and cheaper...

A nice thread nevertheles....