View Single Post
Old 22nd September 2019, 18:51

Hamsterman is on a distinguished road
Re: 363rd TRG F-6C Bouncing Baby ID?

Hi all,

My apologies for not being able to respond sooner. We were at what turned out to be an all day cross country meet yesterday thanks to the weather and we didn't get back to the house until late last night.

Thanks for all the thoughts. Kent, my comments about the 363rd book were not meant to be taken as a knock on the book which I believe to be well written and researched. I was merely responding that the 162nd, Frank Seely Jr or "his" F-6C were not mentioned in the book. I'm not as well versed in the 9th AF tac recon groups so I'm trying to piece how the 363rd and 162nd, and now the 111th, all fit together.

I originally found the photos of Bouncing Baby and Frank Seely Jr here:

https://www.armyaircorps.us/Frank_L_Seely_Jr.cfm

That page listed the plane as a P-51B Reconnaissance, which I assumed to be a F-6C, and listed Seely serving with the 162nd Tactical Reconnaissance Group. When I went searching for more information on the two, I came across this axis and allies website that featured Bouncing Baby with numerous 363rd planes.

http://axis-and-allies-paintworks.co...opic.php?13365

This had me confused because it appeared that the plane was being attributed to two different groups. As I started looking further, I found suggestions that the the 363rd and 162nd were related with the 162nd being attached to the 363rd. This is why, for lack of a better reason, that I attributed Frank Seely Jr to both the 162nd and 363rd and this is why I started looking for him and his plane in the 363rd book. Like I said, I don't completely understand how the 162nd and 363rd are related so I likely made the wrong assumptions. I believe I had it in my head that the 162nd was essentially treated as another squadron in the 363rd which is why, again, I turned to the 363rd FG book. My apologies for that.

I'm interested in learning about these tac recon groups but with all the moving around that they did, I'm having a little trouble figuring out who belonged to whom.

Thanks for your patience.

Chris