View Single Post
Old 25th December 2007, 05:31

wcarah is on a distinguished road
Re: Obituary--Hptm. Fritz Karch--II./JG2

Thank you for the details on Hptm. Karch's military career. I was not aware he had most of his 47 victories in 1944-45. When he shot my father down in July 1943, he must have had only five or so kills. II./JG2 switched to Bf109G-6's in May of 1943 to be able to get at the increasing number of B-17 and B-24 bombers flying into France at high altitude. I understand the Fw190's simply could not function effectively above 20,000 ft.

My father's B-17F was initally damaged by flak while on a bomb run on an aero engine factory located in LeMans, France. The flak knocked out the oxygen supply and the aircraft had to descend to lower elevation or the crew would suffocate.

Then began a 50km game of tag where Karch and Uffz. Lothar Aue and one other JG2 pilot swooped in, fired their cannon, and stood off waiting for the mortally hit aircraft to call it quits. The plane kept on going with only two engines for some time, but finally a cannon burst on the tail jammed the horizontal stabilzer up against the rudder and plane started an uncontrollable climb that would result in a stall. It was time to to hit the silk and seven of the crew bailed out over La Coulonche, L'Orne. The final result was 3 KIA, 2 POW and 5 Evaded. Later, one of the evadees would freeze to death going over the Pyrenees in late October, 1943.

If anyone should know about Mr. Karch's post war career, I would appreciate a post.

Again, thank you for the information.

Regards,

Warren