Thread: Gunther Bahr
View Single Post
Old 26th October 2018, 20:42

2004nigelf is on a distinguished road
Re: Gunther Bahr

RodM
First of all can I thank you for taking the time and trouble to post such a long and comprehensive reply. It is obvious that you have done a lot of research and have a lot of knowledge/expertise on this subject.

As a relative novice at researching RAF in WW2 one of the things I have quickly learnt is that there is a large community of experts out there that are willing to help.

Its amazing that within a few days of finding an initial potential link to my Uncle and Bahr I have now got what is a pretty good idea of what his fate was all those years ago.

You mention two Lancasters crashing close to each other, do you know the number of the second Lancaster

Do you think being shot down was the likely cause of the crash? I suppose there are a few options, shot down, flack, aircraft crash or aircraft failure?

You quote reports from returning crews, are these held at National Archives? If so do you know the catalogue number(s).

I have a copy of the operation orders and the Group 1 and 153 sqd ORBs. The only Group that appears to have sent Lancasters (145 in total) to Stuttgart was Group 1. They report three losses with PB638 being from 153 sqd. Therefore if two Lancasters went down before the target then Bahr's claim of four Lancaster's over target/past target is either excessive or he mistook the identity of some of the aircraft he claims.