View Single Post
Old 10th May 2010, 20:29

cheruskerarmin is on a distinguished road
Re: SAAF aircraft/units of the DAF research

Hi Stefaan,

thank your very much for your reply!!!

i already know ipms.za and there is unfortunately no information regarding my questions. It is a scale modellers site, found no forums there. The SAAF association indeed stores a lot of history but not relating to paintschemes. Perhaps i should contact them anyway.

Have contacted the SAAF museum but didn't get any reply so far.
Today i emailed a private researcher whom i found on the saairforce page, enquiring what he could do and how much is the fee...

Regarding the AX codes of 1st Sqn these seemed to be applied first in early 1942, like in a very lot of other DAF squadrons. Prior to this 1st Sq SAAF seemed to use just a crudely painted aircraft letter only - or no code at all.
There is much confusing information regarding the first use of MkIIa/MkIIb ('Hurribombers'), various books state MkIIs were in service from april 1941
onwards (1st Sqn start of service in the western desert), others state they were even MkIIbs. My own research results so far are the 1st Sqn didn't get MkII hurricanes before october 1941 (like mentioned in 'fighters over the desert' by Hans Ring/Christopher Shores) . Prior to this date they flew the MkI, afterwards the MkIIa variant. MkIIbs and MkIIcs were in service most likely not before may/june 1942, when the sqn reentered service after being pulled out in february (due to losses).
You see this (and much more) remains unclear.

Regarding the Boston squadrons your info on the 'VL' code of No 12 Sqn was very useful! Didn't know this code so far. Very few photographs available. Found some serials lately but again it seems these squadrons used no codes or single aircraft letters only up to the fall of 1941.
Some pictures/profiles depicting the code letters in red, some in white color. I assumed the occasionally use of RAF roundels, now i know it for sure.

Most helpful are original photographs but they are very rare!

Does anyone got the book 'desert flyer'?

http://aircrewbookreview.blogspot.co...ord-jones.html

Would be very interesting to me if the book contains some good
photographs of 274 Sqn hurricanes...

THX a lot and best wishes

Armin