View Single Post
Old 8th January 2005, 18:38

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road
Unclaimed Ju88 losses

Thank you Larry for bringing these claims to attention. I readily concede that, along with seemingly every other chronicler of the period, I have overlooked this important aspect of the Battle. If you would care to contact me off-line I will be happy to exchange views with you on the subject.

Your conclusion regarding the Ju88 of 2(F)/122 lost on 2.9.1940 seems safe enough, though I note it was claimed as a Do215. Its last wireless message was timed at 17.00 CET if that ties in with Meager's claim ?

It is highly likely that the Ju88 shot down by Rayment on 19.9.1940 was indeed the 3/KG51 lost that day during a daylight raid on the Gloster Aircraft works at Hucclecote as two of its crew were later washed ashore on the Sussex coast. But I have nothing further to add to what is known of the I/KGr806 loss that day.

Finally, I commend your reluctance to conclude that a Ju88 of 1(F)/122 reported missing on 12.9.1940 was that claimed as 'damaged' by Rayment over Blandford. It was officially recorded lost during a sortie 'N Qu.2220-65 Ost' but this makes little sense to me at present.

Finally, these are not the only claims filed by non-operational RAF units as several OTUs also got into the action. Thanks for a most interesting posting.

Peter Cornwell