View Single Post
Old 6th March 2005, 08:51
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
Hello

Quote:
In my favourite polish book about Jagdwaffe Aces - "Elita Luftwaffe" by Robert Michulec - I've read that JG 77 in Africa claimed 497 enemy a/c, against following own total loses: 218 Bf-109 lost, 61 seriously damaged, and 44 damaged. Also 67 pilots was KIA and 17 WIA.
Well, I once attempted to list all the errors and nonsenses there but after a few pages found that it is impossible.

Quote:
One more:
During combat with III./JG 1 and Hptm. Weber, polish 306 Sqn lost 2 a/c, S/L Łapka (WIA) and F/O Łaszkiewicz (POW) . Next one was shot down by Flak (F/Lt Gęca - KIA). III./JG 1 did not claim any polish Mustang III, so maybe Hptm. Weber before his death shot down one or two of them ?
306 did not fight with JG1. It is one of the many nonsenses Michulec wrote.

Quote:
F/Lt Gęca was shot down before fight with Luftwaffe fighters. Hit by Flak, his Mustang exploded, killing the pilot. When it happen bombs was still under wings.
Gęca was not shot down, his aircraft being downed by a bomb blast. This was the reason of Łapka and Łaszkiewicz losses as well. Łapka was not wounded but bailed out behind the front due to coolant leak. He evaded.

Quote:
My source is:
- "Elita Luftwaffe" by Robert Michulec -page 251/252
- Article about Mustang service in Polish Air Force by Piotr Wiśniewski ( Polish Magazine "Lotnictwo" No 5/2002)
My source is my article at Ciel de Guerre #2. Sources were cut (as was my name) by a publisher, but footnotes are all there.