View Single Post
Old 17th April 2012, 03:41
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Question about Bf110C, M8+AK, with 2./ZG76 during 1940

Hello,

Olve: thanx for the photo of Lent's victory scoreboard. His aircraft will also be the subject of at least one color profile in the EoE book series, and probably more than one. Without evidence that he served even briefly in 2 Staffel during June, 1940, I've pretty well ruled him out as the pilot of M8+AK. Do you, or does anyone else know if close-up photos exist of Lent's tail scoreboard as of the time that he belly landed M8+DH at Oslo-Fornebu on 09.04.40? I have the photos of that incident from the BA & ECPA arhives, but I'd like to see a close up of the scoreboard.

Andre, you've emailed me about this before, and if the seventh victory tab was Walz, his BF, then that would mean that this could, and probably is Woltersdorf's aircraft sometime between 30.04.40, the time of his crew's 7th victory, and 15.08.40, the date of their 8th and 9th victories. We know he flew during the Polish Campaign, but do we know enough about his personal story to confirm that he was flying during the Sudaten Czech crises? His bio in the de Zeng/Stankey files on careers of Luftwaffe officers doesn't go back before the Polish Campaign, and actually is fairly sparse. Can anyone confirm his involvement in the air cover for the Sudeten occupation by Germany? That would just about nail this.

About the only reasonable explanation for the aircraft markings for M8+AK is that it was flown by the Wolterdorf/Walz team. Unless further information develops to the contrary, I'm going to assign this to the 2./ZG76 profile slot for May, 1940, with them identified as the crew.

Thanx gentlemen, for the comments.

Regards,