View Single Post
Old 29th December 2011, 22:58

Observer1940 is on a distinguished road
Re: RAF Bomber Command 'Y' Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Dennis View Post
Hello, can someone help? Did any of the WWll ‘Y Reports from Bomber Command survive?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce

(I am also posting this question on RAF Commands Forum)
Hello Bruce and Rod
I was researching a Night Bomber Op from RAF Driffield in August 1940 and the Intell of the returning Bomber Command crews had survived. I am sure I had them photocopied from one of the Station ORB Appendices Volumes.

All of the crews Intelligence reports were there as separate Signals bound into a volume, except the missing aircraft which crashed and the aircraft which returned early.

Bear in mind that some crews used or landed at forward bases on return, sometimes the Intell was sent to the Parent Station and is filed. However, some of these other forward Stations in Southern England only seem to have a Form 540, with few or non-existant appendices filed.

One of the other RAF Bomber Station's Appendices with a Squadron on the same Op only had one Intell Form covering all their bomber aircraft.

All the Intell Forms I have found were the carbon Signal copies sent by Teleprinter from the Bomber (Parent) Station, where the bomber Squadron was based.

Regards Mark