View Single Post
Old 29th September 2008, 01:23

Duncan Richardson is on a distinguished road
Re: Info April 12th 1943. Twin bomber crash on the island of St Vincent, British West Indies

Thank you for that additional info Martin. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission list Faulkner as a UK citizen but the two countries were very closely tied then with families recently emmigrating so confusion could well exist.
http://www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_...2024327&mode=1

This is the site for Georgetown Cemetery. A more peaceful remote place it would be hard to find and so very far from the war.

Canadians and Americans might be easily confused here hence the talk of an American. I am glad you could clear that point for me and pin down the squadron it was destined for.

Why the pilot was not able to execute a good forced landing has been a mystery to me because the length available would seems to be adequate, the terrain was absolutely flat and the crop was arrowroot a short plant that would have been harvested by April. I have learnt that the Baltimore was a very difficult aeroplane to handle and would have required a high approach speed. Maybe there was not enough length or perhaps he overshot the intended touchdown spot but attempting a go around with one engine out and high coconut trees on his port side was fraught with danger. I'm sure he did his best.