View Single Post
Old 29th January 2006, 22:34

drgondog is on a distinguished road
Re: Revising Angels, Bulldogs and Dragons - History of 355th FG in World War II

Guys - I very much appreciate the feedback. There are several 'personal' accounts which I have on file. One of course is the PRO release of the Priest-Marshall rescue of 18 Aug 1944, another is Clay Kinnard's colorful write up of airfield strafing tactics.

I actually have more than a couple of interviews but reluctant to use them as even in 1980 the memories were subject to 'adjustment'..

Two interesting notes for you perhaps. 1. Bud Fortier's Fighter Ace of the 8th is an EXCELLENT first hand look. I helped Bud quite a bit with nailing dates and 'general events'.. and he caught a few 'assumptions' I had made in which I described a mission as 'uneventful' and he vividly remembers being trapped on the deck by multiple 20mm flak batteries that nearly shot him down! 2. Len Deighton's "Goodbye Mickey Mouse has quite a few 355th characters built into the book. He grew up around Steeple Morden and was quite fond of the 355th - Billy Hovde helped him quite a bit in reading and making comments to the drafts.

Erich - how can I help you on 26 November? One interesting fact about that scrap was tha Bill Whalen (2SF) got three of the 5 he got with the 2SF and was, of course the only SF pilot to make ace. One of the 'personal notes' is that Whalen was chasing an FW 190 on the deck and his wingman looked over at him and noticed he was lighting up a cigarette! - then shot the poor guy down. That is how he got his nickname "Gooney Whalen"

Thanks again for your kind remarks. This website has already helped me in several areas of reseach!