View Single Post
Old 18th July 2018, 11:52

ChristianK is on a distinguished road
Re: eBAy: Captured german planes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Malfara View Post
Hi ChristianK
Are you referring to the post#1128 Me262's?
Regards

Vince...
Hey Vince - what do you mean?

And my two cents in regard to the discussion above: Ed - You are saying that our photo listings here attract some wealthy buyers who (after winning the auction) hide these photos away from public forever. And the posters here are doing that by ... making them visible to everyone.
Ain't this a little contradictory?

Also: If you are a researcher, do you really need the physical picture in your own hands to do your research? I don't think so.

(Yes, I know there is always the problem with Photoshop et cetera, and this can only be cleared by physical access - but this problem can also occur with published photos. How can you tell with a hundred percent certainty that these are real? I guess you just have to live with these doubts in our day and age.)

And I know this is frowned upon, but if you really want to publish a work, for example, about Me 262 jet bomber units and you really want to put a certain photo in it, to which you don't have physical access to, you can just use the downloaded picture anyway.

If I recall correctly there is no copyright on these unless the original photographer claims it (or some image provider puts a fat watermark on it). Just saying - even though I am not totally sure about this point. But quite.

In the end I think that posting all these photos and auction links is much more profitable for our community (and Luftwaffe research in general) than keeping them secret...