View Single Post
Old 20th February 2005, 16:43
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road
Graham Boak

As far as the RAF's contribution to the battle over France, I'd have thought that the books available covered the subject pretty well, with the distinct exception of the Lysander units. We are not without the equivalent books on the brief British contribution to the land campaign, though for details it may be necessary to resort to the individual regimental histories.

It is worth pointing out here that, as far as the air war specifically was concerned, the one major difference between the French position and the British was that the French had no radar chain and, more importantly, the command, control and communications that produced an overall defence screen. Perhaps the lack of unified control of the air units had something to do with this, but I would prefer to be more informed before judging. However, I would point out that the respective qualities of the aircraft and airmen are less significant than being able to place them in the right place at the right time. Difficult enough at any time for the French in 1940, but even more so in the teeth of the Blitzkrieg (whatever the origin of the name!)