View Single Post
Old 1st March 2016, 17:57
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: Looking for information about Ar 234 pilot Hauptmann Miersch / Mierisch

Hi Huib,

Wow, this is going to take a couple of hours of research in my 18 rolls of Smithsonian/National Air and Space Museum’s Captured German & Japanese Air Technical Documents collection, NASM Archives Accession No. 0431, and even that will not turn up much in the way of helpful information.

However, some of your questions I can answer or attempt to answer now.

Quote:
1) Where does the information come from that Hauptmann Karl MIERISCH was the pilot of the Ar 234?
This October 1945 Farnsborough transfer question would have been something found by my colleague, Doug. I will contact him and see if he can find the source he used.

Quote:
2) Could the entries A and B be referring to the same officer?
Yes, that is entirely possible.

Quote:
3) If A and B are referring to the same officer, what does the posting to Abt. Qu 4/Italuft Rome entail? Could this be a posting in a technical role?
No, Abt. Qu.4 was Flakgerät und Munition. He would have been the Abteilung-Chef of this department or office and he would have belonged to the Flak Branch of the Luftwaffe rather than to the Flieger Branch.

Quote:
4) Is there additional information available regarding the activities, roles and postings of Karl Mierisch? How did he end up in Norway?
A full answer to this set of questions would have to come from his personnel records at BA-MA Freiburg.

Quote:
5) Could the entries A, B and C be referring to the same officer? In entry C a posting to 1.(F)/Aufkl.Gr. 22 is mentioned and that could be a qualification to fly an Ar 234 later in the war?
Quite doubtful. I see no correlation between a Feldwebel radio operator in a Fernaufklärungs unit in summer 1941-42 and an Ar 234 pilot in 1944-45. Besides, you would have to assign a higher probability to his name being spelled wrong and his first name being incorrect than not.

Quote:
6) Could Karl Mierisch have been a Hauptmann (Ing.)?
Yes, and that is what I will check the microfilms for.

Quote:
7) Is there any information available about Hauptmann (Ing.?) Helmut(h) Miersch?
Other than what I may come across in the microfilm, you will probably have to contact BA-MA for his full career information.

L.