View Single Post
Old 13th February 2018, 20:37

Smithy is on a distinguished road
Re: 92 Squadron Battle of Britain Claims - July 10th 1940

Hi Gerry and Brian,

Firstly, thanks Gerry once again for sending a copy of Bill's CR which certainly does show that Green Section of 92 engaged the enemy and claimed something unconfirmed - the text in many places is not entirely clear due to this being not the crispest copy in the NA. Sometimes you forget the most obvious but I'd forgotten to check Wynn's MotBoB which has Bill claiming an He111 damged on the 10th July. Bill's CR talks about white smoke coming out of the starboard engine after one of his attacks so the EA must be either a Me110, Do17, Ju88 or He111.

As I mentioned to Gerry in my email, Tom Wiese was 92's beloved IO and although he was well liked he was notorious for how awful his English was (he was Norwegian). Geoff Wellum said after catching up with Tom again in 1976 that his English was no better than in 1940 and said, "I hope he wrote our reports better than he spoke." So I certainly wouldn't put it beyond the bounds of possibility that Tom might have been a bit lax or even erroneous in his official record keeping and this incident is one of those.

Cheers,

Tim