View Single Post
Old 8th August 2008, 17:47
Grozibou

Correcting a small error

I wrote the following myself in my preceding post :

27 out of 111 Czech pilots served with Curtiss-equipped units, and this with great distinction. Several of them became great aces, the best of all being Frantisek Perina (GC I/5, 1re escadrille led by Cne Accart), who won 11 "certain" and 2 "probable" victories, alone or shared ones. Vasatko (GC I/5) won 12 + 2 victories and was one of the top aces of the Armée de l’Air.

Arguably the best of all was Vasatko not Perina for Vasatko won one more "certain" victory. Sorry!

WHAT? I am not unfallible (Vasatko)? This is an incredible historical discovery!

But the quality of a fighter pilot is not to be found in the number of his victories only. There are other important factors, like protecting their comrades and conversely, choosing good tactics etc. (I am not claiming that Vasatko didn't have these qualities but I think he did have them). Besides, Vasatko, too, was a member of 1st escadrille of GC I/5, together with many other top-ranking aces : CO Cne Acart, Lt Marin-la-Meslée, Sgt Morel, Perina, Vasatko, Rouquette, Muselli, Vuillemain, Penzini, Rey. Most of these pilots were GREAT aces (9-20 victories each). Simply flabbergasting. It seems that wizard Accart was able to make an ace out of any pilot under his command. Think that he had trained several others who then went to other units, including Ace N° 2 : Adjt. Camille Plubeau.

Last edited by Grozibou; 8th August 2008 at 18:47.