View Single Post
Old 10th April 2019, 10:14

RodM is on a distinguished road
Re: Duel Under the stars

further to my comments on the attack at Leipheim on the night of 16 March 1945, the Mosquito crew responsible was likely F/O Skerrett RCAF and F/L Mackenzie RCAF from 406 Squadron.

They claimed a twin-engined aircraft damaged on the ground at "Crailsheim" at 22.40 hrs. The Combat Report reads:

"After several fruitless orbits around Giebelstadt which was lighted we went due south to Crailsheim arriving at 2230 to find it lit with perimeter track and runway lights. On approaching the a/d we saw an a/c up wind of the drome expose its navigation lights for a few seconds, about five miles from us. When these disappeared we dived down to the a/d and began a starboard orbit. We had completed our orbit at 500 feet without contact when I noticed a landing light flash off the end of the runway. the e/a then flashed its navigation lights on and off and his landing light again. I peeled off and opened fire at about five hundred feet in a starboard turn, seeing strikes on the fuselage, e/a believed to be twin engine. We did a climbing port turn and all the lights then doused. Patrol was continued and the a/d re-lit at 2315 but no activity was seen and we returned to base".

Unfortunately, there seems to be no documentary information available to confirm damage to Wim Johnen's Bf110 2Z+ES. As mentioned, he flew ES again at a later date, but that could be a new/replacement aircraft.

However, based on available documentary evidence, it seems the account of the incident in 'Duel under the Stars' is embellished somewhat or at least partly mistaken for a different incident (three aircraft destroyed, one dead and one wounded).

Cheers

Rod