View Single Post
Old 19th October 2011, 00:22
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Ghostbombers updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Dear Nick,

thank you very much for new informations until now hidden in the ULTRA decrypts. Some new (F)100 pilot names I never heard before of like Viergutz, Heibutzki, Franz, Schnabel, Haider, Puls, Beck.

You also mentioned Ofw Willi Windhövel (*02.12.13) : On 18th of April 1945 he took off with his Ar234 T5+?? from Lechfeld. He was shot down by LtCol Shafer, 339FG, 503FS, some 30 km south east of Regensburg, managed to bail out at a height of about 3000 ft only to die next day.

Best wishes, Karl

P.S.: I have the hope that you - some day - reveal some yet unknown details about JG7...
Thanks, it was interesting work to do.

Viergutz I think was with 1.(F)/123 but flew a "T5" aircraft at least once. He later appears in Ultra flying 4U+IH.

Thanks for the information about Windhövel. I did find that entry in the Volksbund für Kriegsgräberfürsorge database but I had no way to confirm it was the right man, apart from the quite rare name. The location was some distance from the combat area and (I apologise to say this) I thought that at 31 he seemed quite old to have been a pilot of Ofw. rank.

The JG 7 material in Ultra is quite limited, I think. I may work on it in future but no promises!