View Single Post
Old 27th April 2019, 23:49
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road
Re: Dornier Do 335 11/15 at Oberpfaffenhofen - My book project

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest2 View Post
No jumping to conclusions please.
Says me you have no real idea - Best stay in Sci.Fi., eh?

This below text is (c) - copyright to me.

Decoded this many years ago, around year 2004 - and fuller, completely reasearched chapter will be in my books - This was never just an Do 335 issue but Industry wide practice - For example it used by Junkers factories way back from 1936, even earlier. Saying "Serie/Zelle" had this and that and be the W.Nr. is basically not correct, and this was found (stated) on one wing, but as everybody here knows one wing did not "hold" an "right" to a W.Nr. (Serial) and it may not even have ever been on that plane, possibly only planned be - or already removed from older airframe - because parts were in practice just used when available (and often planes were worked on 24 hours a day on operational airplanes) but only rear end of fuselage did "hold" W.Nr.. This was standard, because of often there were delays, and practiced by one of them rare RLM orders from 1937.

Painting this large on nose (or fin) was to aid workers put "right part" (version part) on rest of airframe. Ergo one version of "Line Number" but had much deeper roots - and played part in costs, contracting and finance papers - This was part of Commerce / Trade, Banking etc. Aircraft building was a business. The bean counters did theirs behind the schenes.

Therefore it is NOT confirmed the entire "airframe 1/3" was fitted at that W.Nr., as in all likelyhood fuselage and other wing be from other other Serie/Zelle. I have photograpic evedence many Serie/Zelle parts were used on same wing. It was a practice that enabled enough parts be made and used at as fast as possible, but also as many Luftwaffe researchers know, many things went wrong, parts were delayed, destroyed and schedules slipped because air attacks ruined organized production. Each Serie had "window" of about 3-6 months "pipeline" time, and often got mixed up on assemble, despite best of intentions.

Because all Do 335 production components were made under very bad conditions, only Factory Paperwork could tell how they were used, signed off be the (BA) or (BAL). If you dont have that, you are only guessig.

Eggert Norddahl