View Single Post
Old 22nd March 2005, 03:58

Adam
Re: The value of the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest
Too much convenience can be a bad thing.

Let us never forget that the first syllable of convenience is 'con'

I'm only twenty seven but never had a computer until I went to university for my first degree at 19. I only recently got a mobile phone and spent several years growing up without the aid of a family car. My younger siblings - especially my brother - didn't do it "as tough" with this regard and tend to take things for granted. If they are bored there is the television: when I was a kid it was either a book or my imagination and the back yard. I saw all my friends at school during the day or at sport on Saturday morning so there was no need for my own personal phone - even at university I couldn't see the need for them (useful as they can be, I still think of them as the bane of modern society) and growing up in a regional town I could virtually walk anywhere I wanted to, or if not hop on my push-bike. People I went through university with used to suffer from writers cramp and had such terrible writing simply because they had been brought up pecking at a keyboard. Those same people would comment on my handwriting and marvel at it, mainly because it was neat and legible.

In some ways the usefullness of this board is a negative, also. Remember the excitment of writing a letter and standing by the letterbox waiting for the postman? There is virtually nothing that is so important in this life that it can not be put off until tomorrow.

Just my humble opinion

Adam