View Single Post
Old 9th January 2005, 04:43
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
The value of the internet

Most of us remember a time when a letter was the best and least expensive form of communications. We are living in a time where, if we so choose, things that used to take days can be done in seconds. However, I think too much convenience can be a bad thing.

In the United States, there are gasoline powered leaf blowers, and devices to make holes in the ground. What is wrong with using a rake or shovel? These things save time for what? Sitting? Watching television? And the complaint is that Americans have become overweight and do not get enough excersize.

I cannot presume to know what each one of you does with your time. It would be impolite of me. Yet, here, at your fingertips, and in a very short time, is a device and method to get many things. Speaking for myself, I don't know what I would have done or not known if it were not for the internet. I would likely still be getting catalogs in the mail and wondering if there were others besides me who were interested in the subjects discussed here.

I grew up in a time when there was no internet and no one had cell phones. I learned that you get out of something what you put into it. This included trimming a Christmas tree or tending a rose garden. How much of the potential of the internet is being realized? I don't know in general. But here, I think it is being utilized well.

Convenience is only good to a point. Everything worth doing needs time and work, even if it is preparing for guests or going to a park. Convenience will never reach the point where there will be no effort required on our part. I cannot picture living in a world where machines did everything for me and I was just a spectator.

Regards,
Ed West