View Single Post
Old 4th September 2019, 02:10

INM@RLM will become famous soon enough
Re: The Struggle in Sumatra and the Air Campaign

Ed, I place my faith in ESET. It blocks downloads of any files where it detects a threat. Any files I have any suspicions of I also scan manually with it. ESET updates itself several times a day. If there is code in there rather than data it has a very good track record of finding and neutralizing it. And then regular scans of everything and regular backups.
At least with PDFs we are talking about a standard file format that is not tied tightly into any specific hardware or a set of T&Cs from amazon or apple etc. that can be changed on you at a moment's notice.

Thank you, very much for that insight on the changing styles of written Japanese, Larry. Most informative. I had no idea. Your recollection is pretty accurate. We are talking about the same item, although the Australians say they actually took sections of Senshi soshu (maybe from more than one volume?) and brought them together into their single work 'Japanese army operations in the South Pacific Area: New Britain and Papua campaigns, 1942–43.' However, all together this book is only 232 pages long. (A bound version is also available at a very reasonable price.)

Jukka, it's worth reading up on open access and the non-onerous restrictions of this licensing. Something relatively new on the landscape, but a valuable addition.

To your fears, the endowment of The Corts Foundation funds these open access arrangements. Part of the Foundation's Mission Statement is "To fund research and the publication and translation of books". It exists to make the information as accessible as possible, not to turn a profit. So it's very different to the normal publishing model.