View Single Post
Old 21st July 2010, 08:23

Theodor is on a distinguished road
Glider part? Company Luft - Stuttgart?

Recently I found this timer. German made and the BAL stamp suggests use by the Luftwaffe. Asked here and there, but so far noonne could tell me what it was used for. So, finally I contacted Isgus, the company that produced it. They most kind and sent me what they found about the piece:

"With our senior director we found out that this item is a altimeter for gliders. It was built until 1950 and we did only deliver it to 1 company: Company "Luft" in Stuttgart, Germany."

Unfortunately they had almost nothing in their archive about it, just the quoted. It has a clock mechanism inside, it is not an altimeter, but maybe is related to the altimeter somehow? There is a lever switching between 2, 4 and 10 hours. When on 2, the clock mechanism works much faster than when set on 10 hours. The mechanism rotates VERY slowly the axis on the back side, seems it was connected to some other device.

So, can you please tell me, what is this thing? What was it used for? And what is that Luft company in Stuttgart? Or maybe that means Luftwaffe? Thank you very much! BTW the diameter of the cylinder is 6.6 cm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001-11.jpg (50.4 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Theodor; 17th December 2017 at 18:19.