View Single Post
Old 7th March 2019, 15:07

rof120 is on a distinguished road
Re: The Eagles Over Europe Project

A point I forgot to mention: Larry is one of the very few Americans who showed real interest in the European part of World War II. This is very commendable too (he showed he was a real historian who realized the enormous significance of this war in Europe). No other person, not even a German, French, British or other person, ever published, or attempted to publish, such a giant, comprehensive historical work on the air war in Europe from September 1939 through December 1940, or for any period of WW II. Jochen Prien's giant series on German fighter units is something entirely different - and very useful and interesting too.

Larry thought that his OEO volumes would not be profitable so he would lose money, probably a large sum. I disagreed and I still disagree. In my humble opinion there is a good market for such high-quality, very valuable historical works. I think it would at least break even but most probably be really profitable. Appropriate publicity could be necessary - and fully justified. For example I feel the volumes on the French Campaign (10 May-24 June 1940) would sell at least 5,000 copies, probably much more for precisely this period of the AIR war was, and still is, neglected or ignored by historians although it was at least as significant as the Battle of Britain, which happened to be the last 1940 air battle and thus was a decisive event. Larry was about to close this gap - much to many people's delight.

Crossing fingers for Larry.

Last edited by rof120; 8th March 2019 at 18:26. Reason: IMHO instead of "modest opinion"