View Single Post
Old 17th September 2008, 10:08

Burdokva is on a distinguished road
Re: USAAF claims against Bulgarian AF

Actually, two dates are mistaken on the link (thanks to CENTURION in pointing it out in the thread about the air combat on June 11th) - Ivan Bonev died on 11th June, not August. Tzvyatko Zagorski perished on 24 June 1944 when "bounced" by a force of P-38s , probably from 82nd FG. I have a detailed account of the air combat, if anybody's interested I'll post it here.

EDIT: CENTURION, according to the book "Air Power of the Kingdom of Bulgaria. Part 4" FARK OOD, Sofia, 2001 of the 27 Bulgarian fighters listed as lost, 14 were downed or damaged beyond repair and 13 were seriously damaged to various degrees. The volume is both in Bulgarian and English and is a good study on the aerial conflict, but it covers only the period from August 1943 to April 1944 (against the USAAF; there's a brief section on the campaign against the Germans), and not the summer battles (which lasted until August 26th 1944).
Several fighters belly landed after damage to the engine, or if the pilot was wounded, but these were quickly repaired. I'll check on the other losses, they are probably from the (incomplete) 1st and (training) 4th orlyaks with D.520s, which were pressed to join the defence of the capital.

Last edited by Burdokva; 17th September 2008 at 10:51.