View Single Post
Old 18th March 2019, 09:46

Kurfürst
Re: Meaning of AS in DB605 AS

Hello guys,

The thing I am wondering about is if anyone knows what was the historic rationale behind the AS development. Or in other words, what drove its development specifically and when did it start? When was the decision made to develop such an engine and what was cited to as a reason for it?

I am looking for specific answers, we all know that the AS series are basically the 605A equipped with the 603A's supercharger, that the first live engines were running in prototype 109Gs by September 1943, and that the type saw production by December 1943, service by April 1944 the latest; which appears to be more of a lucky coincidence with the appearance of Merlin Mustangs than a conscious process, given that development and testing must have started well before any Mustang appeared, presumably spring-summer of 1943 already, and any of two stage Spits were also preciously few in numbers at that time as well.

So the question I am asking is what was going on in the management of the RLM. What was it was meant for - high altitude recce interceptor instead of the GM1 subtypes, an answer for high flying B-17s etc.?