View Single Post
Old 15th January 2018, 22:39

Eric Rader is on a distinguished road
Smile Hans-Joachim Marseille

Read some history about this decorated Luftwaffe "ace". Believe he was awarded the Knights Cross (Ritter Kreuz) with Oak Leaves by Goering, not sure if he later received the swords and diamonds to that most high honour. The story I heard was that Hans was a very accomplished pianist, and while at Karinhall, receiving his KC from Goering, with Hitler and other Nazi leaders, including Josef Goebbels and his wife Magda in the audience, he played: Bach, Mozart, Chopin and Wagner for a solid hour, w/o sheet music.

During the intermission, Magda Goebbels asked him if he knew any American jazz forms- Being the cultured gent that he was, he played some Gershwin and even some Scott Joplin, which annoyed Hitler, who finally command Hans to "Schuss mit dem Juden musik"-- and Magda laughed at this.

Wonder if that event might have delayed Hans from later receiving the swords to his RC?? Any truth to this story?? I am a "newbie" here, I carefully read the rules and regs, I hope this inquiry will not offend anyone.

Last edited by Eric Rader; 15th January 2018 at 22:48. Reason: improper placing of a word